Monday 1 September 2014

First Aid Should Always Come First

On a recent two-week, 4,000 KM motorcycle trip across British Columbia, through the Rocky Mountains and half-way into Alberta and back, I made sure my Triumph Tiger 800 was in good working order. I packed some extra oil, chain cleaner and lube and two different tire repair kits for the journey. Fortunately, I did not get a flat and the trip went well; however, it about a month after returning, I realized that I had not packed a repair kit for me or my riding partner. Learning First Aid and proudly displaying a First Aid certificate had always been on my 'to do' list but I guess I had procrastinated so long I had forgotten about it. By chance, I came upon the following website http://www.traumatech.com and enrolled in a weekend Standard First Aid /CPR/ AED Level C Canadian Red Cross course.  Now I feel I have at least a degree of competence and confidence in the event of an emergency. But that's not enough. You need to have access to a good First Aid kit, too, if you are to be most effective, in addition to a phone to call 9-1-1 and an AED if needed. Disappointed with the drug-store type first aid kits around, I created my own based on what I learned in the course.
According to British Columbia Occupational Health & Safety Guidelines, my First Aid kit is better than basic and pretty much equivalent to a Level 1. The Level is determined by a combination of factors, such as occupational risk and distance to a hospital. The criteria are not really applicable to my situation and I customized my kit based on what I learned and could afford. It cost about $60 in total on top of the $150 for the course and text. But my riding jacket costs more than that, and I think the investment is just as valuable. If I had $2,000 to spare, I'd buy an AED to complete the kit, but I don't. However, I do know how to use one if necessary and that's more than I knew before. Naturally, I hope I never need to spring into action or require aid for myself, but it's not realistic for anyone who spends any length of time on the roads to delude himself into thinking that nothing is going to happen to him and nobody will ever need his help. The course and the kit have increased my sense of security and peace of mind, and that makes for an enjoyable ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment